Current Trends and Issues in Managed Care
Compensation and reimbursement models are another method of controlling access, cost, and quality in a managed care environment. An MCO doesn’t have direct control over physicians or hospitals but through contractual agreements that set incentives for meeting agreed-upon standards, it can exert influence.
This week, you are required to write an essay on the following topics:
- Managed care hospital reimbursement
- Managed care provider reimbursement
Using South University Online library (e.g. CINAHL) or the Internet, review at least two articles for each topic and write a review for each source of information. Use the following guidelines for developing your essay:
- Write a summary for each topic tying together the information learned about that topic.
- Analyze the market forces that would favor using one reimbursement method over another.
- Evaluate the key differences between different types of payment methodologies from the provider and hospital point of view.
- Evaluate the advantages and disadvantages of the payment methodologies reviewed from the provider and hospital point of view.
- Evaluate new payment methodologies resulting from the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) and discuss future changes in reimbursement methodologies.
- Compare and contrast each article to the information discussed in the course textbook.
Based on your understanding, create a 3- to 4-page Microsoft Word document that includes the answers to the questions for the above topics.
Support your responses with examples.
Cite any sources in APA format.