Managed care has become an integral part of the U.S. health care system in the past several decades and has redefined health care and how it is readily accessed.
For this discussion, select and respond to one of the two managed care issues listed below. Provide short answers to the questions posed within each issue.
- Define managed care. Be sure to include the various types of managed care programs available.
- Discuss the ethical and legal issues that have arisen out of managed care, especially as it relates to the Employment Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA) and Standards of Care (SOC), both internal and external.
- Discuss how these issues have had an impact on nursing practice in the private and public health care systems.
- Discuss the intent and provisions of the Emergency Medical Treatment and Labor Act (EMTALA) and its implications on health care delivery systems, such as hospitals and emergency departments, and managed care organizations.
- Provide an overview of key court decisions involving EMTALA, and discuss how these decisions have impacted the health care delivery system and nursing practice.
Your initial post is to be about 150 words, referenced with at least one APA formatted reference.